“You can’t beat a healthy heart.”
High Blood Pressure Medication
ACE Inhibitor/Diuretic Combinations
SCHEDULING STATUS OF THE MEDICINAL PRODUCT S3
NAME OF THE MEDICINAL PRODUCT
PEARINDA PLUS 2 (Tablet)
PEARINDA PLUS 4 (Tablet)
Please read this patient information leaflet carefully before you start taking PEARINDA PLUS
- Keep this information. You may need to read it again.
- If you have further questions, please ask your doctor or pharmacist.
- This medicine has been prescribed for you personally and you should not pass it on to others. It may harm them, even if their symptoms are the same as yours.
WHAT PEARINDA PLUS CONTAINS
The active ingredients are:
Perindopril tert-butylamine salt, 2 mg & Indapamide 0,625 mg per tablet, or
Perindopril tert-butylamine salt, 4 mg & Indapamide 1,25 mg per tablet.
Lactose monohydrate, Microcrystalline cellulose, Silica colloidal anhydrous & Magnesium stearate.
WHAT PEARINDA PLUS IS USED FOR
PEARINDA PLUS is a combination of two active ingredients, i.e. perindopril and indapamide.
Perindopril belongs to a class of medicines called ACE inhibitors.
Indapamide is a diuretic (sometimes called a water tablet).
Both active ingredients reduce blood pressure and they work together to control blood pressure.
BEFORE YOU TAKE PEARINDA PLUS
Do not use PEARINDA PLUS if you
- are hypersensitive (allergic) to PEARINDA PLUS or any other ACE inhibitor, or to sulphonamides or to any of the other ingredients in the tablet;
- had symptoms such as swelling of the face, tongue or throat, wheezing, skin rashes, intense itching, dizziness or fainting with previous ACE inhibitor and/or Angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) treatment or have had these symptoms in any other circumstances (this is a condition called angioedema); these patients should never again be given these medicines.
- have hereditary or idiopathic angioedema
- have narrowing of the main blood vessel leading from the heart or cardiac muscle disease or narrowing of the artery supplying the kidney with blood;
- have any other heart, liver or kidney problems;
- take potassium supplements, potassium-containing salt substitutes and potassium sparing diuretics such as spironolactone, triamterene, amiloride;
- have porphyria;
- suffer from Addison’s disease;
- have low blood potassium levels;
- take lithium products
- are pregnant or breast-feeding.
PEARINDA PLUS tablets should not be given to children.
The presence of other medical problems may affect the use of PEARINDA PLUS. Talk to your doctor, pharmacist or healthcare professional before taking PEARINDA PLUS if you:
- have blood vessel problems in your brain (cerebrovascular disease) or ischaemic heart disease;
- become dehydrated (volume depleted), eg if you were vomiting, or had diarrhoea or heavy sweating, if you are on dialysis, or if you follow a salt restricted diet or use diuretics;
- have high or low blood potassium, low blood sodium, or are on a sodium-restricted diet or use salt substitutes which contain potassium;
- suffer from a collagen disease such as systemic lupus erythematosus or scleroderma, or your immune system is suppressed;
- have low blood pressure;
- have bone marrow depression;
- suffer from hardening of the arteries (atherosclerosis);
- suffer from gout;
- have any other heart, liver or kidney problems;
- suffer from diabetes which is not well controlled;
- are allergic to lactose.
You should inform your doctor, pharmacist or healthcare professional that you are taking PEARINDA PLUS if you:
- are going to have an operation or anaesthesia;
- are going to have desensitisation treatment to reduce the effects of an allergy to bee or wasp stings;
- are to undergo a procedure or test that requires injection of a contrast agent containing iodine.
Athletes should note that this product contains indapamide, which may give a positive reaction in drug tests.
What about pregnancy and breast-feeding?
You should not take PEARINDA PLUS:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or if you suspect you are pregnant;
- if you are breast-feeding.
Can you take your tablets with other medicines?
If you are taking other medicines on a regular basis, including complementary or traditional medicines, the use of PEARINDA PLUS with these medicines may cause undesirable interactions. Please consult your doctor, pharmacist or other healthcare professional, for advice.
In particular, you should check with your doctor, pharmacist or other healthcare professional if you are taking any of the following to be sure that it is safe to take PEARINDA PLUS at the same time:
- other medicines for treating high blood pressure including diuretics (water tablets);
- other medicines that could cause lowering of the blood pressure;
- potassium supplements, potassium-containing salt substitutes and potassium-sparing diuretics (e.g. spironolactone, triamterene or amiloride);
- lithium (for mania or depression);
- non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines;
- tricyclic antidepressants;
- corticosteroids (for various conditions, including asthma);
- medicines for the treatment of diabetes, eg insulin and metformin;
- baclofen (for muscle stiffness);
- medicines for heart rhythm problems (eg procainamide, sotalol, digoxin, quinidine, hydroquinidine, disopyramide, amiodarone);
- allopurinol (for treatment of gout);
- medicines for the treatment of cancer;
- immunosuppressants, e.g. cyclosporin;
- erythromycin (an antibiotic);
- halofantrine (for certain types of malaria);
- pentamidine (for treatment of some types of pneumonia);
- terfenadine (antihistamine for allergies or hayfever);
- stimulant laxatives eg senna;
- amphotericin B (for fungal diseases);
- tetracosactide or corticosteroïds (cortisone) (for treatment of Crohn’s disease)
Taking your medicine with food and alcohol:
It is recommended that PEARINDA PLUS should be taken once daily before a meal.
Avoid drinking alcohol. Drinking alcohol with PEARINDA PLUS may further lower your blood pressure and may make you feel dizzy or light-headed.
What about driving and using machines?
You may experience dizziness or lightheadedness while taking PEARINDA PLUS. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react on PEARINDA PLUS.
Before you begin using any new medicine (prescription or non prescription) or if you develop any new medical problem while you are using PEARINDA PLUS, check with your doctor, pharmacist or other healthcare professional.
HOW TO TAKE PEARINDA PLUS
Always take PEARINDA PLUS exactly as your doctor has instructed you. You should check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are unsure. If you have the impression that the effect of PEARINDA PLUS is too strong or too weak, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. Do not share medicines prescribed for you with any other person.
It is recommended that PEARINDA PLUS is taken once daily in the morning before a meal.
Speak to your doctor if you suffer from kidney disease for information on how this medicine should be taken as the usual dosages may not be appropriate for you.
PEARINDA PLUS is not suitable for use in children.
If you take more tablets than you should:
In the event of overdosage, consult your doctor or pharmacist. If neither is available, contact the nearest hospital or poison control centre. Take this leaflet and any remaining tablets with you, so that the doctor knows what you have taken.
If you forget to take your tablets:
It is important to take your medicine every day. However, if you forget to take one or more doses, take another as soon as you remember and then go on as prescribed on a normal daily dose. Do not take a double dose.
WHAT SIDE EFFECTS MAY OCCUR?
PEARINDA PLUS can have unwanted effects. Check with your doctor, pharmacist or healthcare professional if any of these unwanted effects persist or become bothersome.
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; severe stomach pain; difficulty in breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat; dizziness or fainting; unusually fast or irregular heart beat. These could be signs of angioedema which is a serious reaction that can occur with all medicines of this type (ACE inhibitors). It must be treated immediately, usually in hospital.
The following common side–effects may occur:
Cough, low blood pressure, vertigo, tiredness, low potassium levels, diarrhoea, nausea, abdominal pain, indigestion, vomiting, dry mouth, taste disturbances, constipation, loss of appetite, itching.
The following side–effects occur less frequently:
Changes in the blood (your doctor may decide to carry out blood tests at regular intervals to monitor for this), headaches, dizziness, pins and needles, irregular heart beat, heart attack, chest pain, stroke, changes in mood or sleep, confusion, gout, inflammation of the pancreas, sexual disorders, kidney problems, jaundice, inflammation of the liver, tightening of the chest, wheezing and shortness of breath, blocked or runny nose, sinusitis, muscle cramps and weakness, skin rash, various skin disorders, vision disturbances.
Not all side–effects reported for PEARINDA PLUS are included in this leaflet. Should your general health worsen while taking PEARINDA PLUS, please consult your doctor, pharmacist or other health care professional for advice.
- Store below 25 °C in a dry place.
- Keep the blisters in the carton until required for use.
- Do not store your medicine in the bathroom.
- Do not take this medicine after the expiry date which is clearly marked on the blister and outside of the box.
- Return any expired or unused medicine to your pharmacist for safe disposal. Do not dispose of unused medicine in drains or sewerage systems (e.g. toilets).
- STORE ALL MEDICINES OUT OF THE REACH AND SIGHT OF CHILDREN.
PEARINDA PLUS 2: A white capsule shaped tablet with dimensions of 8 x 4 mm approx., bearing a breakline on both sides.
PEARINDA PLUS 4: A white capsule shaped tablet with dimensions of 8 x 4 mm approx., bearing a breakline on both sides.
PEARINDA PLUS 2: The tablets are available in Alu blister packs of 30’s.
PEARINDA PLUS 4: The tablets are available in Alu blister packs of 30’s.
PEARINDA PLUS 2: 41/7.1.3/0632
PEARINDA PLUS 4: 41/7.1.3/0633
NAME AND ADDRESS OF REGISTRATION HOLDER
Pharma Dynamics (Pty) Ltd
1st Floor Grapevine House, Steenberg Office Park
Cape Town, South Africa