“Mental health is a sickness just like diabetes and heart problems.”- Betty Jordan
Scheduling Status: Schedule 5
Proprietary name, Strength and Pharmaceutical Form
ZOXADON 0,5 mg: Each tablet contains 0,5 mg risperidone.
ZOXADON 1 mg: Each tablet contains 1 mg risperidone.
ZOXADON 2 mg: Each tablet contains 2 mg risperidone.
ZOXADON 3 mg: Each tablet contains 3 mg risperidone.
ZOXADON 4 mg: Each tablet contains 4 mg risperidone.
Please read this patient information leaflet carefully before taking ZOXADON tablets.
- Keep this information. You may need to read it again.
- If you have any further questions, please ask your doctor or your pharmacist
- Zoxadon has been prescribed for you personally and you should not share your medicine with other people. It may harm them, even if their symptoms are the same as yours.
WHAT ZOXADON CONTAINS
Active ingredient: Risperidone
Inactive ingredients: Lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, Opadry white or yellow, and pregelatinised starch.
Contains sugar in the form of lactose anhydrous. (See BEFORE YOU TAKE ZOXADON)
WHAT ZOXADON IS USED FOR
Risperidone is an atypical antipsychotic.
ZOXADON is indicated for:
- Acute and chronic schizophrenia and related psychosis in which positive symptoms and/or the negative symptoms are prominent.
- Behavioural disturbances in patients with dementia in whom symptoms such as aggressiveness, activity disturbances or psychotic symptoms are prominent.
- Conduct and other disruptive behaviour disorders in children (aged 5 -12 years), with subaverage intellectual functioning or mental retardation in whom destructive behaviours are prominent.
BEFORE YOU TAKE ZOXADON
Do not take ZOXADON:
- If you are hypersensitive (allergic) to risperidone or any of the other ingredients of ZOXADON. (See WHAT ZOXADON CONTAINS)
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Do not give this medicine to children under 5 years with conduct and other disruptive behaviour disorders.
Take special care with ZOXADON:
Tell your doctor:
- If you suffer from kidney or liver function impairment.
- If you suffer from Parkinson’s disease: muscle weakness, muscle stiffness, impaired and slow movement and shaking. ZOXADON may worsen the symptoms of these conditions.
- If you suffer from epilepsy: fits / seizures. ZOXADON may worsen the symptoms of this condition.
- If you have a condition called tardive dyskinesia: characterised by jaw movements, chewing-like movements, tongue movements, smacking of the lips or involuntary rapid arm or leg movements.
- If you experience any of the following symptoms of neuroleptic malignant syndrome: muscle spasms, irregular pulse or blood pressure, high fever, irregular heart rate, increased heart rate and increased sweating (perspiration).
- If you take furosemide water tablets.
- If you have diabetes: high blood sugar.
- If you have a history of cerebrovascular adverse events: strokes.
- If you suffer from heart disease or have low blood pressure.
- If you have a history of galactose intolerance (a simple sugar found in lactose) or impaired absorption of glucose-galactose.
- If you are old aged or suffer from dementia (progressive intellectual impairment) associated with Parkinsonism.
- If you are planning to have an eye operation, intraoperative floppy iris syndrome may increase the risk of eye complications during and after cataract surgery.
- If you have a tendency to over-eat or gain weight easily.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding:
The safety of ZOXADON in pregnant and breast-feeding women has not yet been established. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding your baby, please consult your doctor, pharmacist or other health care professional for advice before taking this medicine.
Driving and using machinery:
ZOXADON may cause sleepiness and a lack of concentration. Do not drive or operate any machinery before you know how this medicine affects you.
Using other medicines with ZOXADON:
Always tell your healthcare professional if you are taking any other medicine. (This includes complementary or traditional medicines.)
Do not take alcohol and ZOXADON simultaneously.
Consult your doctor or pharmacist before taking other centrally acting medicines (e.g. sleeping tablets).
ZOXADON may cause levodopa and other dopamine agonists (used to treat Parkinson’s disease) to be less effective.
Chronic administration of carbamazepine and clozapine may decrease the plasma levels of ZOXADON.
Fluoxetine and paroxetine (an antidepressant medicine) may increase the plasma concentration of ZOXADON.
Tell your doctor if you are using any medication that will cause your blood pressure to fall. Concomitant use of such medication and ZOXADON may, cause very low blood pressure.
HOW TO USE ZOXADON
Always take ZOXADON exactly as your doctor has instructed you. You should check with your doctor if you are unsure. If you have the impression that the effect of ZOXADON is too strong or too weak, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
Treatment of schizophrenia
If you are already using an antipsychotic medicine, your doctor may gradually discontinue this treatment when switching to ZOXADON. If you are receiving a depot injection, your doctor will initiate ZOXADON treatment in place of the next scheduled injection.
You may take ZOXADON either once daily or twice daily.
Initial adult dose: The usual dose is 2 mg per day. Your doctor may increase the dosage to 4 mg per day on the second day.
Maintenance dose: Your doctor will decide what the optimum maintenance dose is based on your response. The usual maintenance dose is 4 mg to 8 mg daily, but your doctor may increase the total dose up to 16 mg per day.
Liver and kidney impairment:
Your doctor should halve both the starting dose and the subsequent dose increments if you suffer with liver or kidney impairment.
The starting dose is usually 0,5 mg twice daily. Your doctor may increase the dose up to 1 – 2 mg twice daily.
Treatment of behavioural disturbances in patients with dementia
The usual starting dose is 0,25 mg twice daily. Your doctor may increase the dose to a maintenance dose of 0,5 mg to 1 mg twice daily.
Treatment of conduct and other disruptive behaviour disorders in children 5 – 12 years of age
The usual starting dose is 0,01 mg per kg once daily. The doctor may increase the dose to a maintenance dose of 0,02 – 0,04 mg per kg once daily.
If you take more ZOXADON than you should:
In the event of overdosage, consult your doctor or pharmacist. If neither is available, seek help at the nearest hospital or poison control centre.
If you forget to take ZOXADON:
If you missed a dose, take it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue to take the tablet at the usual time. Do not take a double or larger dose to make up for the forgotten individual doses.
If you have trouble remembering when to use your medicine, ask your pharmacist for some hints.
POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
ZOXADON can have side effects. Not all side effects reported for this medicine are included in this leaflet. Should your general health worsen while taking this medicine, please consult your doctor, pharmacist or other health care professional for advice.
If any of the following happen, stop taking ZOXADON and tell your doctor immediately or go to the casualty department at your nearest hospital:
Less frequent occurrence
- Fast or irregular heart beat
- Difficult or unusually fast breathing, high fever, irregular blood pressure, loss of bladder control, severe muscle stiffness, seizures, unusual pale skin, tiredness of weakness.
- Cough difficulty swallowing, dizziness, hives, itching, tightness in chest, wheezing and puffiness or swelling of eyelids, face, lips or tongue.
These are all very serious side effects. If you have them, you may have had a serious allergic reaction to ZOXADON. You may need urgent medical attention or hospitalization.
Tell your doctor if any of the following side effects occur:
- Restlessness or need to keep moving
- Anxiety or nervousness
- Muscle spasm of face, neck and back, twitching movements, weakness of arms or legs
- Difficulty in speaking or swallowing, loss of balance control, trembling and shaking of hands and fingers
- Insomnia; asthenia; fatigue; lassitude; drowsiness; headache; increased dream activity; increased duration of sleep
- Changes in vision
- Constipation, diarrhoea; dyspepsia; vomiting; nausea
- Skin rash or itching
- Problems in urination or increase in amount of urine
- Mood or mental changes, including aggressive behaviour, agitation, difficulty in concentration and memory problems
- Sexual dysfunction or decrease libido; menstrual changes
Less frequent occurrence
- Back pain
- Menstrual changes; unusual secretion of milk; prolonged and painful erection of the penis
If you notice any side effects not mentioned in this leaflet, please inform your doctor or pharmacist.
STORING AND DISPOSING OF ZOXADON
- Store at or below 25 ˚C.
- For tablets in blisters: Keep the blisters in the carton until required for use.
- For tablets in containers: Keep well closed in the original container.
- STORE ALL MEDICINES OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.
- Do not use the tablets after the expiry date printed on the blister/container.
- Return all unused medicine to your pharmacist
- Do not dispose of unused medicine in drains and sewerage systems (e.g. toilets).
PRESENTATION OF ZOXADON
Transparent PVC-PVDC/AI heat sealed blisters or HDPE container with a snap-on LDPE cap with a tamper evident ring.
IDENTIFICATION OF ZOXADON
ZOXADON 0,5 mg: Light yellow, oval, biconvex, scored, film-coated tablets, marked T. Size 8 x 5 mm.
ZOXADON 1 mg: White, oval, biconvex, scored, film-coated tablets, marked T1. Size 8 x 5 mm.
ZOXADON 2 mg: White, oval, biconvex, scored, film-coated tablets, marked T2. Size 10 x 5 mm.
ZOXADON 3 mg: White, oval, biconvex, scored, film-coated tablets, marked T3. Size 11 x 6,5 mm.
ZOXADON 4 mg: White, oval, biconvex, scored, film-coated tablets, marked
T4. Size 14 x 7,5 mm.
ZOXADON 0,5 mg: RSA S5 41/2.6.5/0468 NAM NS3 10/2.6.5/0021
ZOXADON 1 mg: RSA S5 41/2.6.5/0445 NAM NS3 10/2.6.5/0022
ZOXADON 2 mg: RSA S5 41/2.6.5/0446 NAM NS3 10/2.6.5/0023
ZOXADON 3 mg: RSA S5 41/2.6.5/0469 NAM NS3 10/2.6.5/0024
ZOXADON 4 mg: RSA S5 41/2.6.5/0470 NAM NS3 10/2.6.5/0025
NAME AND ADDRESSOF REGISTRATION HOLDER
Pharma Dynamics (Pty) Ltd
1st Floor Grapevine House, Steenberg Office Park
Cape Town, South Africa
DATE OF PUBLICATION
15 January 2009