“Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice.”- Anton Chekhov
SCHEDULING STATUS S0
PROPRIETARY NAME, STRENGTH AND PHARMACEUTICAL FORM
GELUSIL PEPPERMINT (tablets)
Please read this patient information carefully before using GELUSIL PEPPERMINT
- Keep this information. You may need to read it again.
- If you have any further questions, please ask your doctor or your pharmacist.
- This medicine has been prescribed for you personally and you should not share your medicine with other people. It may harm them, even if their symptoms are the same as yours.
WHAT GELUSIL PEPPERMINT CONTAINS
Each tablet contains:
Aluminium Hydroxide Dried Gel 250 mg
Magnesium Trisilicate 500 mg
(Magnesium content: 3,3 mmol per tablet)
Sodium saccharin, confectioner’s sugar (icing sugar), maize starch, tricalcium phosphate powder, sucrose, peppermint Durarome (flavourant), magnesium stearate and purified water.
WHAT GELUSIL PEPPERMINT IS USED FOR
GELUSIL PEPPERMINT is used:
- for the relief of an excess of acid in the stomach and inflammation of the lining of the stomach.
- in the management of stomach ulcers, heartburn and acid indigestion.
BEFORE YOU USE GELUSIL PEPPERMINT
Do not take GELUSIL PEPPERMINT:
- If you are allergic (hypersensitive to any of the ingredients (see “WHAT GELUSIL PEPPERMINT CONTAINS”)
- If you have impaired kidney function.
Taking GELUSIL PEPPERMINT with food and drink:
GELUSIL PEPPERMINT must preferably be taken between meals.
Pregnancy and Breastfeeding:
Safe use of GELUSIL PEPPERMINT during pregnancy and breastfeeding has not been established.
Driving and using machinery:
GELUSIL PEPPERMINT will most likely not make you drowsy or impair your ability to drive and use machinery.
Use of other medicines with GELUSIL PEPPERMINT:
- Consult with your doctor or pharmacist or healthcare professional for advice if you need to take any other medicines. If you are taking other medicines on a regular basis, including complementary or traditional medicines, the use of GELUSIL PEPPERMINT with these medicines may cause undesirable interactions.
- GELUSIL PEPPERMINT may reduce the absorption of the following medication, which may cause a decrease in their effectiveness:
- Oral tetracyclines (a type of antibiotic)
- Digoxin or quinidine (heart medication)
- Oral iron preparations (used for iron deficiency)
- Anticholinergic drugs (certain asthma medication, muscle-relaxants, medicines used in the treatment of Parkinson’s disease)
- Barbiturates (used in the prevention of malaria and the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis)
- Warfarin (blood thinning medication)
- H 2 -receptor antagonists (other antacid/ulcer medication)
- Oral isoniazid (used in the treatment of tuberculosis (TB))
- Sucralfate (antacid medication)
- Sodium fluoride (use in fluoride deficiency)
- Ketoconazole (antifungal medication)
- Phenytoin (used in the treatment of epilepsy)
- Phenothiazines (anti-anxiety medication)
- Methenamine (a type of antibiotic)
PROPER USE OF THIS MEDICATION
The recommended dosage of GELUSIL PEPPERMINT is one or two tablets chewed up to 4 to 8 times a day, preferably between meals, or as directed by a doctor.
Do not take more than 16 tablets in a 24 hour period.
It is recommended that in general, you should not take any oral medication within at least 2 hours of taking GELUSIL PEPPERMINT.
If you have any questions about the proper dosage of GELUSIL PEPPERMINT, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
If you take more GELUSIL PEPPERMINT than you should:
In the event of an overdosage, contact your doctor or pharmacist. If neither is available, contact the nearest hospital or poison control centre as soon as possible. Take this leaflet and any remaining tablets with you, so that the doctor knows what you have taken.
If you forget to take your GELUSIL PEPPERMINT:
Take the missed dose as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, continue to take the next tablet at the usual time. Do not take a double dose.
POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
GELUSIL PEPPERMINT may have side effects.
Not all side effects reported for this medicine are included in this leaflet.
Should your general health worsen while taking this medicine, please consult your doctor, pharmacist or other health care professional for advice.
If any of the following occur, please consult with your doctor or healthcare professional as soon as possible or report to the casualty department of your nearest hospital:
- Flushing of the skin, thirst, dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, muscle weakness, difficulty to breathe, as this may be caused by increased magnesium levels in your blood.
The following less frequently occurring side-effects may also occur while using GELUSIL PEPPERMINT:
- nausea and vomiting
STORAGE AND DISPOSAL OF GELUSIL PEPPERMINT
- Store in a cool (below 25 °C), dry place.
- KEEP ALL MEDICINES OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.
- Do not use after the expiry date printed on the label or carton.
- Return all unused medicine to your pharmacist.
- Do not dispose of unused medicine in drains and sewerage systems (e.g. toilets).
PRESENTATION OF GELUSIL PEPPERMINT
Blisters of 16, 24, 96 and containers of 500 tablets.
IDENTIFICATION OF GELUSIL PEPPERMINT
A white, flat, round, bevel-edged tablet with green specks, monogrammed G on one side.