“Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice.”- Anton Chekhov
SCHEDULING STATUS S0
PROPRIETARY NAME, STRENGTH AND PHARMACEUTICAL FORM
Please read this patient information carefully before using GELUSIL-S
- Keep this information. You may need to read it again.
- If you have any further questions, please ask your doctor or your pharmacist.
- This medicine has been prescribed for you personally and you should not share your medicine with other people. It may harm them, even if their symptoms are the same as yours.
WHAT GELUSIL-S CONTAINS
Each tablet contains:
Aluminium Hydroxide Dried Gel 200 mg
Magnesium Hydroxide 200 mg
Simethicone (activated methylpolysiloxane) 20 mg
(Magnesium content: 3,4 mmol per tablet)
Confectioner’s sugar (icing sugar), mannitol, spearmint oil, natural lemon flavour, magnesium stearate and purified water.
WHAT GELUSIL-S IS USED FOR
GELUSIL-S is used:
- for the relief of an excess of acid in the stomach and inflammation of the lining of the stomach.
- in the management of stomach ulcers, heartburn and acid indigestion.
- when bloatedness or flatulence is present.
BEFORE YOU USE GELUSIL-S
Do not take GELUSIL-S:
- If you are allergic (hypersensitive) to any of the ingredients (see “WHAT GELUSIL-S CONTAINS”)
- If you have impaired kidney function.
Take GELUSIL-S with food or drink:
GELUSIL-S must preferably be taken between meals.
Pregnancy and Breastfeeding:
Safe use of GELUSIL-S during pregnancy and breastfeeding has not been established.
Driving and using machinery:
GELUSIL-S will most likely not make you drowsy or impair your ability to drive and use machinery.
Using other medicines with GELUSIL-S:
- Consult with your doctor or pharmacist or healthcare professional for advice if you need to take any other medicines. If you are taking other medicines on a regular basis, including complementary or traditional medicines, the use of GELUSIL-S with these medicines may cause undesirable interactions.
- GELUSIL-S may reduce the absorption of the following medication, which may cause a decrease in their effectiveness:
- Oral tetracyclines (a type of antibiotic)
- Digoxin or quinidine (heart medication)
- Oral iron preparations (used in iron deficiency)
- Anticholinergic drugs (certain asthma medication, muscle-relaxants, medicines used in the treatment of Parkinson’s disease)
- Barbiturates (used in the treatment of epilepsy)
- Quinines (used in the prevention of malaria and the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis)
- Warfarin (blood thinning medication)
- H2-receptor antagonists (other antacid/ulcer medication)
- Oral isoniazid (used in the treatment of tuberculosis (TB))
- Sucralfate (antacid medication)
- Sodium fluoride (use in fluoride deficiency)
- Ketoconazole (antifungal medication)
- Phenytoin (used in the treatment of epilepsy)
- Phenothiazines (anti-anxiety medication)
- Methenamine (a type of antibiotic)
PROPER USE OF THIS MEDICATION
The recommended dosage of GELUSIL-S is one or two tablets chewed up to 4 to 8 times a day, preferably between meals, or as directed by a doctor.
Do not take more than 16 tablets in a 24 hour period.
It is recommended that in general, you should not take any oral medication within at least 2 hours of taking GELUSIL-S.
If you have any questions about the proper dose of GELUSIL-S, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
If you take more GELUSIL-S than you should:
In the event of an overdosage, contact your doctor or pharmacist. If neither is available, contact the nearest hospital or poison control centre as soon as possible. Take this leaflet and any remaining tablets with you, so that the doctor knows what you have taken.
If you forget to take your GELUSIL-S:
Take the missed dose as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, continue to take the next tablet at the usual time. Do not take a double dose.
GELUSIL-S may have side effects.
Not all side effects reported for this medicine are included in this leaflet.
Should your general health worsen while taking this medicine, please consult your doctor, pharmacist or other health care professional for advice.
If any of the following occur, please consult with your doctor or healthcare professional as soon as possible or report to the casualty department of your nearest hospital.
- Flushing of the skin, thirst, dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, muscle weakness, difficulty to breathe, as this may be caused by increased magnesium levels in your blood.
The following less frequently occurring side-effects may also occur while using
- nausea and vomiting
STORAGE AND DISPOSAL OF GELUSIL-S
- Store in a cool (below 25 °C), dry place.
- KEEP ALL MEDICINES OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.
- Do not use after the expiry date printed on the label or carton.
- Return all unused medicine to your pharmacist.
- Do not dispose of unused medicine in drains and sewerage systems (e.g. toilets).
PRESENTATION OF GELUSIL-S
Blisters of 16 and 24 tablets.
IDENTIFICATION OF GELUSIL-S
A white, round, bevel-edged tablet with a lemon-spearmint odour and taste.
NAME AND ADDRESS OF REGISTRATION HOLDER
Pharma Dynamics (Pty) Ltd.
F02 Grapevine House
Steenberg Office Park
DATE OF PUBLICATION
10 December 2009